Virtual Tax Preparation
Virtual Plan for Tax Preparation at Appalachian Community Action Agency
Located at: 175 Military Lane, Gate City, VA 24251
Phone: 276-452-2441 Fax: 276-452-2472
Please Click on the link below for forms you will need to fill out for Tax Preparation
AppCAA will offer a variety of Virtual services to accommodate our tax clients in the communities we serve. To keep our volunteers and staff safe, we will not be offering face-to-face tax preparation this year. We will not be taking appointments because our offices are currently closed to the public.
*Note: You must fill out and include the forms from our “Virtual Tax Prep” packet with your taxes.
Options for tax preparation:
- Drop-Box: We have a large drop box located on the front sidewalk at the office. There will be a smaller mailbox near the drop box which will have tax envelopes and additional forms you will need to fill out. We request that you leave COPIES of your tax documents and, if possible, use the drop box during regular business hours – Monday – Friday from 8 am – 4:30 pm.
- Online (computer or smart phone): Visit our website at appcaa.org to apply. In the upper right-hand corner Click on “Apply for Services”. Fill out the information requested only for yourself (or Head of Household) on this form. After you have finished filling out the form and at the bottom of the page click on “Finish and Ready to Submit”. There will be a small box appear at the bottom left of the screen under your name. Click to check the box and another blue box will appear that says, “Upload Documents and Submit”, click on this button. This will bring you to another screen where you will upload documents. Choose the document type, Document description, then for “Participant Document Applies To” click the green “select all” button, next select your documents to be uploaded. Once you have uploaded your documents click on the green “Submit Document(s)” button on the lower right-hand side of the screen. You will get a message that says, “Thank you for submitting your information”. This is a simple and secure way to get your information to us.
- Mail: a COPY of your tax documents to:
AppCAA Tax Prep, Attn: Karen Davidson, PO Box 279, Gate City, VA 24251
- Fax: your tax papers to Attention: Free Tax Prep at 276-452-2472
- Email: your tax documents to email@example.com. When emailing your documents, please consider emailing them as an encrypted document.
NEW THIS YEAR: We are asking you to provide a “code word”. If the tax preparer has questions about information on your tax return, the preparer will call you for clarification. To verify identity, the tax preparer will ask you for your “code word” before discussing your tax return.
A copy of your tax return will be mailed to you along with Form 8879, IRS e-file Signature Authorization. Once you agree to the accuracy of your tax return, you will sign Form 8879, IRS e-file Signature Authorization and return it to the site either by mail, email, fax or to the drop box. The return will not be e-filed until you have verified your tax return is correct and Form 8879 is signed and received by our tax site. We are currently working to get an electronic docusign available.
Please bear with us as we work to ensure that we safely, securely, and adequately prepare and e-file your tax return this year. Thank you for allowing us to prepare your 2020 tax return.